Who can use nicotine pouches (e.g. Velo, Lyft & Zyn)
- Those who are currently smoking (to prevent nicotine withdrawal and as a safer alternative to smoking)
- Those who have quit smoking (to prevent returning to smoking)
- They should not be used by people who have never smoked.
What are in nicotine pouches?
Nicotine, water, plant-based ingredients, flavourings, and sweeteners are all used in this product. They don’t have any tob. in them.
How do I use a nicotine pouch?
Take one out of the tin. Place it between your gum and lip. You’ll feel a tingling, hot sensation – that’s the nicotine being released. You can gently chew it a few times to release the nicotine. Keep the pouch between your gum and lip for a minimum of 5 minutes and a maximum of 60 minutes. DON’T SWALLOW IT.
What nicotine strength should I use?
- Velo and Lyft have distinct strengths (Velo & Lyft: 4 mg, 6 mg) and Zyn has a separate strength (‘strong 2’=3 mg). ‘strength 4′ equals 6mg
- Start with the greater strength if you’re a heavy smoker (20+ cig. each day). Request a lower strength if it feels too strong.
- Try the lower strength if you only smo. 20 cig. per day. If it still doesn’t satisfy your want to smo., request a stronger dose.
How often should I use a pouch?
If you keep the pouch in your mouth for up to 60 minutes each time, you shouldn’t require more than one every hour. A tin should keep you going for 1-2 days.
What side effects might I get?
Similar to other oral nicotine replacements like lozenges and mouth spray, you might get hiccups or a sore mouth. If you have too many, you might feel sick and get an upset stomach.
- To prevent infection DO NOT share a pouch with anyone or use a pouch that someone has thrown away.
- If you accidently swallow a pouch, let the staff know straight away.
- Throw away the used pouch in the waste compartment in the top of the tin.
- Or throw it in a bin